The Best Hotel Loyalty Program Promotions for Fall 2014
- These days, competition is heating up in the hotel industry. The big chains are not only competing against each other, but they’re also competing against online travel agencies and startups like Rocketmiles and Hotelied for your business. When you book through the hotel directly, it’ll give you points, whereas reserving through online travel agencies generally disqualifies your stay from earning valuable hotel points and possibly even getting your elite status. So if you want those points, book directly with the hotel—especially during the busy fall travel season when many brands offer lucrative promotions.
- Here are the major hotel chains and their promotion details. You should always double check and make sure that the hotel you want to book isn’t listed as an exclusion—a lot of hotels opt out of these promotions because they get charges for the extra points. You may also want to plan your stays around the days where you’ll earn the most points.
- Starwood: More For You
- SPG members can earn either double or triple Starpoints depending on which nights of the week their stay is with Starwood. This promotion is valid for stays between September 15 and December 15, 2014.
- Register by October 31, 2014, and start earning more at over 1,000 participating Starwood hotels and resorts through December 15, 2014. There’s a pretty extensive list of Non-Participating Hotels and Resorts, which Starwood is known to include for most promotions.
- Hilton: Hilton HHonors Triple Your Trip
- Now through October 31, Hilton is offering 2x bonus points for stays on Monday-Thursday nights, and triple points on Friday-Sunday stays. You can find details of the promotion here, and register for it here. Note that there is a list of non-participating hotels.
- Hyatt: Earn up to 50,000 Bonus Hyatt Points(targeted)
- Hyatt has launched a new targeted promotion, which runs through November 30, 2014, in which some Gold Passport members will have the opportunity to earn up to 50,000 bonus points for eligible nights spent at all Hyatt properties worldwide. For this promotion, nights booked at Hyatt-partner M life resort properties do not count as eligible.
- Marriott: Megabonus
- From September 15, 2014 through January 15, 2015, Marriott Rewards members can earn up to 25,000 bonus points through Marriott’s fall Megabonus promotion. Register by November 15 and earn double points for every paid stay at participating hotels starting with your second stay, up to 25,000 bonus points.
- IHG Rewards: Into the Nights
- This promotion is valid for stays through December 31, 2014. To register for the promotion, log into your IHG Rewards account. As with past IHG promos, bonuses will vary by account, so you have to log in to see what your specific promotional potential is, but the baseline seems to be one of these three bonuses:
- 50,000 bonus IHG Rewards points
- 2 free nights
- 10,000 airline miles
For more loyalty program tips and strategies, join the Points Guy Corner with Brian Kelly by following #TL_Chat on Twitter on September 11 from 11-11:30 A.M. EDT.