Memorial Day Weekend By the Numbers
38 million people are going on a vacation this weekend—that’s a lot of barbecue.
According to AAA, 700,000 additional people will travel 50 miles or more for this Memorial Day weekend than last year. It's the most since 2005, and means a record amount of beach combing, lobster salad eating, and in-law avoiding. If you count yourself among the 38 million Americans taking a vacation for the long weekend, consider these compelling numbers before you go:
1. According to TripAdvisor, 35 percent of Americans are planning a trip this weekend, up from 26 percent last year.
2. TripAdvisor projects that Friday, May 27 will be the busiest day on the roads and in the skies, with 32 percent of travelers heading out throughout the day.
3. A WalletHub report says Orlando, Florida is the No. 1 destination for Memorial Day weekend.
4. Only 7 percent of Americans will reach their destinations by plane. AAA expects that 89 percent of travelers will be taking to the roads.
5. More affordable gas prices (34 cents cheaper than they were this time last year) are encouraging Americans to travel by car, says AAA.
6. Still, Hopper says there are more than 104,000 domestic flights (that's 11.5 million seats) will depart between Thursday, May 26 and Monday, May 30 this year.
7. Low oil prices aren't just good for roadtrippers. Domestic flight prices are down 8 percent.
8. Unfortunately, the cost of an average hotel room has risen across the country by .55 percent for Memorial Day weekend.
9. No matter where you go for the holiday weekend—or how you got there—food is probably a key part of the festivities. According to WalletHub, 62 percent of Americans will barbecue. And between Memorial Day and Labor Day, 7 billion hot dogs will be consumed.
10. Last year, Myrtle Beach was one of the most popular Memorial Day destinations. Prices at this South Carolina spot are down 11 and 23 percent this year, according to goSeek.com.
Melanie Lieberman is the Assistant Digital Editor at Travel + Leisure. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @melanietaryn.