“We both reconfirmed with each other when we were on the ground.”

Air Asia
Credit: Charles Pertwee/Bloomberg via Getty Images

There’s nothing like the fear of imminent death to spark a romantic mood. Just ask Chris Jeanes, who recently proposed to his girlfriend, Casey Kinchella, as their plane began hurtling toward the ground on a flight from Australia to Bali.

On Oct. 15, the couple’s AirAsia flight began to rapidly descend about 25 minutes after takeoff. According to reports, the plane descended from 30,000 to 10,000 feet in just over nine minutes. This, however, is a routine safety precaution when a plane loses pressure. As the The Points Guy explained, if a plane loses cabin pressure at cruising altitude it will quickly descend to 10,000 feet, where oxygen masks are no longer needed and passengers can breath normally on their own.

Still, once the plane lost pressure and its oxygen masks fell from the ceiling, both passengers and crew fell into a panic, with crew members allegedly running up and down the aisles screaming, "emergency, brace, crash positions."

But Jeanes, who said he was already planning to propose to Kinchella once they landed in Bali, instead took it as the perfect moment to pop the question.

“Luckily she said yes,” Jeanes told NBC News after the incident. He added, “We both reconfirmed with each other when we were on the ground.”

Thankfully for Jeanes, Kinchella, and all the passengers onboard, the pilots were able to safely land the plane back on solid ground about an hour after the incident took place.

“We commend our pilots for landing the aircraft safely and complying with standard operating procedure,” AirAsia Group head of safety Captain Ling Liong Tien told NBC. “We are fully committed to the safety of our guests and crew and we will continue to ensure that we adhere to the highest safety standards."

AirAsia further apologized to passengers for the “inconvenience” and booked them on the next available flight to their destinations. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority, the Australian industry regulator, has asked the airline for information on what occurred on board and is currently investigating the incident.

In June, an AirAsia flight flying from Perth, Australia to Kuala Lumpur also experienced an unexplained mechanical issue.

"We were asleep and heard a loud bang around the 1-hour-and-15-minute mark," Damien Stevens, a passenger onboard the flight, told CNN. "It shook for the whole ride back, close on two hours."

To make matters worse, the pilot reportedly came over the intercom to tell passengers, "I hope you all say a prayer. I'll be saying a prayer too and let's hope we all get back home safely. Please listen to everything. Our survival depends on your cooperating. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best.”

Thankfully that flight was able to safely land back in Australia, too.