Old Faithful, Yellowstone National Park
Credit: Gary Weathers/Tetra Images/Getty Images

A tourist suffered severe burns after falling into a hot spring at Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park on Sept. 29.

On Sunday, Cade Edmond Siemers, a 48-year-old U.S. citizen who currently resides in India, fell into the hot spring after he went for a nighttime walk without a flashlight. However, the National Park Service (NPS) reported, rangers detected evidence of alcohol use when they arrived.

Rangers called an ambulance, which transported Siemers to West Yellowstone Airport. He was then flown to Idaho Falls for treatment at the Burn Center at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

The following morning, rangers went out to inspect the area where Siemers fell. NPS reported, the rangers found several items near the spring including a shoe, hat, and beer can, as well as footprints going to and from the geyser.

While the man may be injured, rangers from the NPS are also investigating if there is any damage to the geyser cone as well. The results of that investigation, NPS reported, “will be forwarded to the United States Attorney’s Office for prosecutorial review.”

NPS additionally noted that this is the first serious injury in the thermal area in two years. The last reported accident took place in June 2017 when another man sustained burns after falling into a hot spring.

However, this is far from the only instance of tourists behaving badly around Old Faithful. In August, another male tourist was caught on camera bypassing the fence and approaching the dangerously hot geyser. And, just a few short weeks ago two other tourists were arrested and charged with thermal trespassing for attempting to get close to Old Faithful as well.

As a general reminder, Old Faithful spews some 3,700 gallons of water up to 184 feet in the air every time it erupts. That water typically comes out around 204 degrees Fahrenheit with steam temperatures up to 350 degrees. So, long story short, stay at a safe distance. And always walk with a flashlight.