Mapping Hollywood: Then and Now
The once-neglected district may have had a little work done, but that doesn't mean the scandal-soaked glamour spots of yesteryear have totally disappeared.
1. Hollywood Roosevelt 1920s landmark that now hosts the nightspot Teddy’s, a favorite of young A-listers. doubles from $299.
2. Magic Castle Private club for magicians, where legends from Johnny Carson to Steve Martin have performed.
3. Grauman’s Chinese Theatre Movie palace famed for its pagoda-like entrance.
4. Musso & Frank Grill Local haunt that’s served everyone from Greta Garbo to George Clooney. entrées $15–$49.
5. Regen Projects Influential gallery that reps art stars like Matthew Barney and Wolfgang Tillmans.
6. No Vacancy Speakeasy- style club with gas lamps and a marble bar.
7. Birch Small-plates restaurant from acclaimed British chef Brendan Collins. entrées $8–$40.
8. Lombardi House Victorian residence once owned by vaudevillians, now a stylish under-the-radar hotel. suites from $450.