Great Camping Gadgets | T+L Family
Twenty-first-century camping is all about ease, the essentials ingeniously updated for comfort and efficiency. Here, gear to outfit your expedition—to the backyard and beyond.
- The pocket-size Juice Cs4 ($76; leatherman.com), a 16-tool version of a Swiss army knife, has a corkscrew for emergency picnics.
- Twist the valve, and the cushy Trail Lite air mattress inflates itself (small, $40; thermarest.com).
- For nighttime worm hunts and bath-house forays, try a hands-free LED headlamp ($35; petzl.com).
- The classic lantern is now rechargeable, with a fluorescent bulb and a night-light ($60; coleman.com).
- Bang that mug—it’s chip-proof, with a heart of steel ($2.50; gsioutdoors.com).
- A single person can pitch the luxuriously large, six-man Twister tent ($450; eurekatent.com).
- This is one smart sleeping bag for kids ($79; sierradesigns.com): the stuff sack is attached, the pillow is sewn in, and an interior pocket keeps tomorrow’s clothes toasty.
Unbreakable Wine Glass
In stainless steel. 866/478-0439; gsioutdoors.com; $8.
Ice Cream Ball
Shake it to make it. 800/441-5713; llbean.com; $30.
Wax-coated Backpacker’s Chocolate. 800/426-4840; rei.com; $10 for 4 ounces.
S’moradillas, anyone?800/722-6657; quirkbooks.com; $16.