The Lake Effect
- THE PLACE Coeur d'Alene Resort Coeur d'Alene
- THE DEAL Golf and Spa Package: overnight accommodations; one round of golf; one spa credit for services of your choice. Recommended for golfers with nongolfing spouses.
- THE GOLF Sparkling Lake Coeur d'Alene is the backdrop for this Rocky Mountain resort. Along with the drama of the famous floating-green par-three fourteenth hole, the European-style spa offers fabulous views of the lake.
- THE PRICE* $538–$698 per night, through September.
- CONTACT cdaresort.com; 800-628-5253
- THE PLACE Inn at Bay Harbor Bay Harbor
- THE DEAL Truly Unlimited Golf Package: lodging at the Inn at Bay Harbor; unlimited golf on seven area courses, including Boyne Highlands and Crooked Tree. Bay Harbor is available for a $44–$89 surcharge.
- THE GOLF There's tons of golf in the Traverse City area, and Arthur Hills's Bay Harbor, with twenty-seven holes on a high bluff, leads the way. For sailors, the yacht club and marina at Bay Harbor make it one of the premier Great Lakes ports.
- THE PRICE* From $288 per person, per night through September. Lower rates at other Boyne properties in the area are also available.
- CONTACT innatbayharbor.com 800-462-6963
- THE PLACE Madden's on Gull Lake Brainerd
- THE DEAL Classic Deluxe Package: golf on Madden's Pine Beach East or West courses as well as rounds on the Classic course; three nights lodging with daily breakfast.
- THE GOLF The Classic at Madden's is one of the top-ranked resort layouts in the Midwest. In the land of 10,000 lakes, the resort also stands out for its excellent waterskiing school and walleye fishing on Gull Lake.
- THE PRICE* $567 per person through August 19; $499 from August 20 through September 23. Shorter stays available.
- CONTACT maddens.com; 800-642-5363
- THE PLACE Lodge of Four Seasons Lake Ozark
- THE DEAL Players Package: three days of unlimited golf on the Witch's Cove or Seasons Ridge courses; two nights accommodations at the Lodge of Four Seasons.
- THE GOLF Two eighteens from Robert Trent Jones Sr. and Ken Kavanaugh are complemented by the nine-hole, kid-friendly Short Game course. After golf, enjoy the Lake of the Ozarks by pontoon boat or speedy waverunner.
- THE PRICE* From $560; available throughout 2006.
- CONTACT 4seasonsresort.com; 888-265-5500
- THE PLACE Otesaga Resort Hotel Cooperstown
- THE DEAL Leatherstocking Golf Package: standard guest- room lodging; unlimited golf with complimentary range balls and cart; discount pro shop coupon; daily breakfast and dinner.
- THE GOLF The Leatherstocking, a 1909 Devereux Emmet design, is quirky and full of challenges. On the island tee of the eighteenth hole, the course juts into Lake Otsego—the “Glimmerglass” of Fenimore Cooper's tales.
- THE PRICE* $276 per person per night through October 8. Two-night minimum.
- CONTACT otesaga.com; 800-348-6222
- THE PLACE Running Y Ranch Klamath Falls
- THE DEAL Par Four Package: four nights lodging in a standard room; four days unlimited golf with cart on the Running Y's Arnold Palmer–designed course.
- THE GOLF The Running Y golf course, which tracks through wetlands and mature pine forests, sports awesome views of the Cascades and Upper Klamath Lake. There's also a great putting course for contests with the whole family.
- THE PRICE* $916, available through October 15. Suite upgrades and shorter packages also available.
- CONTACT runningy.com; 888-850-0275
- THE PLACE The American Club Kohler
- THE DEAL To Dye Four Package: three nights lodging; one round per day on the Straits, Irish, River and Meadow Valleys courses; half-hour private golf lesson; discount services at the Kohler Waters Spa.
- THE GOLF Here's a terrific way to see all the Pete Dye golf this resort has to offer. Hard by Lake Michigan, the walking-only Straits course, which recently snapped up two more PGA Championships as well as the 2020 Ryder Cup, is a must-play.
- THE PRICE* From $2,595. Available seven days a week through October 8.
- CONTACT destinationkohler.com; 800-344-2838
- THE PLACE Delta Rocky Crest Resort MacTier
- THE DEAL Golf Package: suite accommodations; one round per day on either Rocky Crest, the Lake Joseph Club or the Mark O'Meara course at Grandview Resort. All are open only to Delta guests.
- THE GOLF Thomas McBroom's Rocky Crest plays through a charmed landscape of pine forests, glacial boulders and pristine lakes. This small-scale resort (only sixty-five rooms) is perfect for a laid-back family getaway.
- THE PRICE* From $119 per person per night, based on a group of four.
- CONTACT deltahotels.com; 866-323-3305