Take a Virtual Journey Through New York State With This New Series Featuring Comedy, Cooking, and More
Here's your chance to experience some of the best parts of the the Empire State.
New York wants people to “heart” the state so the tourism board is taking the best of New York nationwide — virtually, at least.
The New York State Division of Tourism is taking its “I Love New York” campaign a step further this month with a series of “LiveFromNY” Instagram stories aimed at highlighting everything from New York’s famous cheesecake to its local brewing culture, rich comedy history, and more.
The four-part series will virtually bring people from New York City to upstate, showing off New York’s diverse attractions and culture along the way. The series kicks off on June 16 with a demonstration from Brooklyn-based Randolph Beer on how to set up a home brewery (and the mistakes to avoid while doing it).
A week later, on June 23, viewers can channel their inner child at Rochester’s The Strong Museum of Play. While the museum may be closed, this Instagram story gives viewers the opportunity to dive into the history of classic toys like Play Doh and Twister.
On June 30, the lead culinary educator for New York Kitchen, a nonprofit from the Finger Lakes (also known for its great wine culture), will share some classic recipes, including how to make a New York cheesecake.
Lastly, the series will bring viewers to Jamestown, the birthplace of comedy legend Lucille Ball and the home of the National Comedy Center. The museum, which opened in 2018, has been visited by big-name comedians, including John Mulaney and Dan Aykroyd.
"Many travelers are facing a different kind of summer this year, and I LOVE NY wants to help people experience some of the best of New York State at home,” Ross D. Levi, the executive director of tourism for I LOVE NY, told Travel + Leisure in an email. “Our Instagram Live series will offer some summer fun while introducing them to unique opportunities for future vacations throughout New York State.”
The Instagram stories will go live at 3 p.m. and be available on the @iloveny tourism board’s page for 24 hours.
Want to get a head start on diving into New York? Try your hand at New York Kitchen’s recipe for cheesecake.
New York Kitchen’s cheesecake recipe
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand mixer, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk on medium speed until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, then eggs, one at a time until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine Graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar together with a wooden spoon.
- In a 10" springform pan, spread the crumb mixture and press with your hand until even. Cover the exterior of the pan with foil to prevent water seepage.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pan.
- Place the springform pan with cheesecake filling in a larger shallow roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with enough hot water so that the water is level with the top of the filling (about 4-6 cups).
- Bake for one hour on the center rack.
- Turn off oven and prop open oven door.
- Allow to cool slowly for another hour.