8 Gadgets to Keep Kids Busy While Traveling
More than 34 million Americans are expected to travel at least 50 miles from home this Memorial Day weekend—and most are be driving. Pack these eight gadgets to keep your kids entertained while you’re on the go.
- Travel Kiddy Kids Travel Journal: Ages 5+
- Older kids can personally document their journey with this customizable journal. With pages for maps, favorite places, daily activities, and favorite events kids can create their own unique souvenir of their adventure. $10
> Related: America’s Best Family Hotels
- Me Vs. You: Head-to-Head Brain Races: Ages 8+
- Getting there is half the fun—but only if kids don’t get bored in the back seat. This set of two connected activity pads splits down the middle so two kids can race each other in completing challenges. Games include word searches, jumbles, scavenger hunts, puzzles, and speed mazes. The set comes with the two activity pads and two pencils. $10.99
- Colorforms® 60th Anniversary Edition: Ages 3+
- A reproduction of the classic 1951 product, this spiral book comes with 350 brightly colored Colorforms pieces. Kids can arrange the pieces that attach to any glossy surface in all kinds of shapes and figures. $39.99
- One Step Ahead Kids Travel Easel and Art Desk: Ages 2+
- Pack this portable pop-up-art desk to keep your budding artist entertained on the road. The top pops up to form a two-sided easel with whiteboard and chalkboard surfaces for doodling. An added bonus, the carrying case holds art supplies and it doubles as a sturdy travel desk. $39.95
- Melissa and Doug’s Trunki: Ages 2-5
- The colorful Trunki suitcases were designed with wheels so that kids can sit on and even ride them. They are carry-on approved and can hold up to 75 lbs of snacks, games, stuffed animals—whatever you consider travel essentials. $34.95
- Contigo AUTOSEAL® Kids Trekker Cup: Ages 3-12
- Though your kids might have outgrown sippy cups, drinks still have a tendency to spill during car rides. This cup’s ingenious shape makes it spill-resistant and easy for kids to hold. $11.99 for a two-pack, $6.99 individually.
- Kidz Gear Volume Limit Headphones: Ages 2+
- These are among the first over-the-ear headphones designed specifically for children; a special control keeps volume at a safe level so you don’t have to worry. There’s even a remote and a mic for easy adjustments. $29.95
- Wean Green Lunch Cubes: Ages 4+
- This colorful tempered glass food container is perfect for road trips with kids. Its snap lid keeps food in place—and not all over your car. $17.99 for a pack of 2.
More From Travel + Leisure: