The U.S. Is Warning Travelers About Tainted Alcohol in Mexico
The U.S. State Department updated its information page for Mexico on Wednesday to alert travelers of the potential dangers of tainted alcohol.
“The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is one of our highest priorities,” a department official told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
The updated warning to travelers comes on the heels of several high-profile instances of travelers claiming they were served tainted alcohol at resorts around the country. In January, a 20-year-old from Wisconsin died after allegedly ingesting tainted alcohol and then drowning in a resort pool in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
Related: 53 Travel Health Essentials
According to USA Today, the blackout incidents in Mexico occurred to both men and women, and to single people and couples. Some people even reported potential sexual assaults and broken bones following just a few drinks.
Vacationers, USA Today noted, mostly said they drank tequila, but in a few cases it was other types of alcohol.
“We reiterate that we are deeply saddened by this incident and that we take this matter very seriously – our heart is with the family and has been from the moment the incident occurred several months ago,” a spokesman for the Iberostar resorts said in a statement, adding that they, “only purchase sealed bottles (of alcohol) that satisfy all standards required by the designated regulatory authorities.”
The State Department urges travelers who experience symptoms of alcohol poisoning to contact a doctor right away, and then also contact the U.S. embassy.