Here Are the New Emoji Coming to Your iPhone (and How to Get Them)
Emoji for sneezing, selfies and more are coming to the iPhone.
This story originally appeared on Time.com.
The iPhone emoji keyboard will now come with symbols that represent occupations like teacher, scientist and firefighter, for instance, as well as updated people-themed emoji—including one depicting a pregnant woman. The newly released batch will also bring new types of smiley faces that show different emotions and actions, such as a face with a Pinocchio-like nose.
The update, which officially launched Monday after previously being available in beta, comes as various tech companies and organizations have made an effort to develop emoji that are more inclusive and represent a broader range of people, activities and interests. A group of Google employees proposed a new set of gender-diverse emoji in May, while Facebook rolled out new options for its Messenger platform in June.
Apple’s latest update will bring the company’s recently announced TV app, improvements to the iPhone’s Photos app and new full-screen effects in iMessage.
Here’s how to download and install the update:
- Back up your iPhone before installing the new software. To do this, navigate to Settings > iCloud > Backup > Back Up Now. You can also connect your iPhone to iTunes on your computer via its charging cable to manually back up your phone.
- After backing up, open Settings.
- Tap General.
- Choose the Software Update option.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Download and Install button to begin the process.