A tablet was stuck between two seats.
A Delta flight from Detroit to Amsterdam diverted on Sunday when a Samsung tablet onboard overheated and started smoking.
The flight diverted to Manchester, where authorities investigated the smoke and found a Samsung tablet lodged in between two seats.
“The aircraft landed safely and Delta’s maintenance quickly found the source and the aircraft was cleared to continue its journey,” Delta said in a statement.
The Boeing 767-400 left Detroit at 10:19 p.m. and flew for over six hours when smoke was detected in business class. Passengers alerted crew who diverted the flight to Manchester airport. The plane spent almost three hours on the ground before taking off for its final destination.
The tablet had been left behind by a previous passenger and was wedged between seats when it overheated.
The Federal Aviation Administration recently banned the use of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 onboard aircraft because of the device’s potential to overheat and explode. Samsung has said that the device onboard was not a Galaxy phone.
The FAA is currently investigating the incident.
Airlines like British Airways, Qantas and Cathay Pacific have recently introduced new warnings for passengers who lose their phones onboard. When a phone becomes lodged in the mechanics of an airplane seat, there is potential for combustion. Passengers are encouraged to alert a crew member if they lose their devices while seated.
In May, a Qantas flight from Sydney to Dallas Fort-Worth was investigated when a phone jammed between seats began smoking. Crew put out the phone in a jug of water before sealing it in a metal box. No emergency diversion was necessary.