Bloomberg/Getty Images
Talia Avakian
March 21, 2018

A customer taking in a movie at a theater in England died of a heart attack after his head got trapped in one of the theater’s seats as he tried to retrieve his phone, according to a local report.

The incident at the Vue cinema in Birmingham’s Star City entertainment complex was described as “a freak accident’ by The Birmingham MailThe local newspaper reported that it occurred after the customer dropped his phone in between two of the theater’s Gold Class seats (electric reclining seats) and tried to bend down to retrieve it, only to have the  the seat’s electric footrest fall on his head, leaving him trapped. The Birmingham Mail reports that the footrest was stuck on the man’s head while his partner and theater staff tried to free him before eventually having to break the footrest.

According to the BBC, representatives from the West Midlands Ambulance Service were notified of a patient in cardiac arrest and headed to the scene to administer life support on the customer, successfully restarting the man’s heart before taking him to a nearby hospital, where he later died.

“Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening,” a spokesperson for Vue told The Independent in a statement regarding the accident. 

“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March," the spokesperson added.

The Birmingham City Council is currently conducting a health and safety investigation into the incident.

You May Like