All the Stores That Are Open and Closed on New Year's Day 2018
Plan ahead so you don't start off 2018 on the wrong foot.
Whether you need to pick up some last-minute items, or want to get some shopping done while you have time off this New Year’s Day, it can be handy to know which stores will be open and closed for the holiday.
While some major stores like Target will be staying open, many stores and federal office buildings are closed on New Year's Day 2018, which falls on Monday, Jan. 1.
We’ve pulled together a list of what you can expect to be closed this New Year’s Day, and the major outlets that’ll be open.
Stores open on New Year's Day:
While most major shops will be open for the holiday, others will be closing their locations across the country for New Year's Day.
- Whole Foods: Most Whole Foods locations will be operating from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Walgreens: Most Walgreens locations will be operating under normal hours on Jan. 1
- Walmart: Store hours may vary by location
- Best Buy: Open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Ikea: Open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Target: Stores open at regular hours of 7 a.m. or 8 a.m. and close 10 p.m., 11 p.m., or midnight
- CVS: Most CVS stores will be open, though hours may vary by location
- Rite Aid: Most locations will operating under normal hours
- Barnes and Noble: Most stores will be open, though hours may vary by location
Stores closed on New Year's Day:
Restaurants open and closed on New Year's Day:
Banks closed on New Year's Day:
You'll want to get to your bank before the holiday, as most credit unions and banks will be closed.
Post offices closed on New Year's Day:
You'll also want to get your mail taken care of earlier on, as all post office locations nationwide will be closed on New Year's Eve (Sunday, Dec. 31) and on New Year's Day (Monday, Jan. 1).
Locations will resume with their regular hours starting on Tuesday, Jan. 2.
Public libraries closed on New Year's Day:
Public libraries also typically closed on New Year's Day, with some locations remaining closed on Tuesday, Jan. 2.