Passengers seen boarding Ryanair aircraft Boeing 737-800 at Krakow John Paul II International Airport.
Credit: SOPA Images/Getty Images

European budget airline Ryanair is a favorite among broke study abroad students for its eye-popping low fares. But, as they say, you get what you pay for. And soon you’re about to get even less.

Ryanair announced this week that it will decrease its already-miniscule carry-on baggage allowance. Starting Nov. 1, basic passengers will get one less bag than on previous Ryanair flights.

The allotment will now include only one small carry-on bag for passengers, which must fit below the seat in front of them. Previously, passengers could also bring one bigger bag, which was tagged at the gate and put in the plane’s hold.

“This led to the tagging of up to 120 free gate bags which caused delays to 25min turnarounds,” a statement released by airline reps explained.

This fall, only passengers who purchase priority boarding will be able to gate check their larger bag for free. Fees for priority boarding plus two cabin bags start at £6 (about $7.74) per ticket, according to the airline's website.

However, at the same time, the airline is increasing the dimensions of what it considers a “small” bag. Now, anything that fits in the 16.4” x 7.8” x 11.8” sizer will be allowed on board. (Previously, the dimensions were 13.7” x 7.8” x 7.8”.)

“This new policy will speed up the boarding and cut flight delays,” Kenny Jacobs, Ryanair’s chief marketing officer, said in a statement. “60% of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect that the other 40% will either choose to buy Priority Boarding or a 10kg check bag or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30% already do so today.”

This is the second time this year Ryanair is changing its baggage policy in an attempt to cut boarding time.