He had been self-isolating in his Scotland home.

By Alison Fox
Updated March 31, 2020
Prince Charles
Getty Images

Prince Charles is out of self-isolation after he recently tested positive for coronavirus.

"Clarence House has confirmed today that, having consulted with his doctor, the Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation," a spokesman told The BBC on Monday.

The 71-year-old heir to the British throne spent seven days self-isolating at Balmoral, his royal home in Scotland. His wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, 72, tested negative.

Palace officials told The BBC that Prince Charles is in good health and following government guidelines.

In the initial news of his diagnosis, that was shared last week, a statement from Clarence House, obtained by The Associated Press said, “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.’’

Following his announcement, Prime Minister Boris Johnson was also diagnosed with coronavirus.

Raising questions revolving Prince Charles' proximity to his mother, Queen Elizabeth, it was confirmed that he last saw her on March 12 following an investiture at Buckingham Palace, by Clarence House and the palace’s court circular. While Charles then met with several people in private meetings, that was his last public engagement

His spokesperson maintained that, “It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”

The Sun reported that earlier this month, Charles met with Prince Albert of Monaco, who was later diagnosed with coronavirus. The pair sat across from each other at a WaterAid dinner on March 10.

Charles and Camilla were tested earlier in the week after Charles displayed mild symptoms, the BBC noted. They were tested by the NHS in Aberdeenshire and results came back the following evening.

Prince Charles and Camilla, who have a small staff with them, will now isolate separately. Six members of their staff will isolate with them.

The queen and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, have been staying at their home in Windsor since March 19, according to a statement from the palace. Prince Philip was not at the meeting with his eldest son on March 12, the BBC reported.

According to The AP, Buckingham Palace said the Queen was “following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”

The UK had more than 22,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus, according to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking the virus. The prime minister has announced lockdown restrictions which include only venturing out for essential trips and public gatherings of no more than two people.

Advertisement