The soon-to-be princess debuted this refreshingly undone hairstyle during two formal engagements with Prince Harry.
This article originally appeared on RealSimple.com.
Another reason to love Meghan Markle: She throws her hair into a “messy” bun just like us. Though for some reason her messy bun doesn’t look like our messy bun. While it does take a little more effort, here are the key steps for pulling off her perfectly imperfect style. From weekend errands to a night with the girls, we can almost guarantee it’s going to become your new go-to style. If it’s fit for a princess (to be), it can work for any occasion.
What You Need
- Texture spray
- Teasing comb
- Neutral hair tie
- Bobby pins
Follow These Steps
- Start by parting your hair down the center. If you don’t prefer a center part, you can also just wear your usual part.
- A couple inches back from the start of your part, grab a 4-inch section of hair. Using a texturizing spray like Amika Un.done Texture Spray ($24; sephora.com), spritz the bottom of the section from behind. Then use a teasing comb like this Revlon Moonlight Teasing Brush ($4; ulta.com) to backcomb the hair to create texture. Keep this very close to the roots.
- Repeat this process (section, spray, tease) with small sections until you reach your crown.
- Flip your hair back over and smooth out the top so that there’s no bumps (but don’t brush out the volume).
- Loosely pull hair back into a low ponytail and secure tightly with a hair tie.
- Spritz the length of your ponytail with the texturizing spray to add grip and texture, then twist it up into a bun. Using bobby pins that match your hair color like Scunci Extra Long Bobby Pins ($3; target.com), pin the bun into place, leaving out a few of the ends to keep that “messy” look.
- Finish by pulling out a few face-framing pieces in the front and you’re ready to mingle with the royals.