Dollywood Is Planning a Major Expansion for 2019
In case you weren't already planning a trip to Tennessee, Dollywood just announced new reasons you'll want to in 2019.
Superstar Dolly Parton’s Appalachian mountain theme park will be unveiling a large expansion to the park, Wildwood Grove, with 11 new, family-friendly experiences including six rides, according to Pigeon Forge Tennessee Guide.
In the middle of the expansion will be a 55-foot tall “Wildwood Tree,” covered in brightly-colored leaves and decorated with butterflies (Parton's signature flourish) that will be lit up every night.
“The entire area is filled with beautiful and distinctive rides and attractions for families to explore,” the park announced. “You can imagine yourself riding on the back of a Smoky Mountain black bear, swinging on a giant leaf, or flying suspended from a dragonfly.”
The six new rides coming to Wildwood Grove include:
- The Mad Mocking Bird — named after Tennessee's state bird, this ride flies around a giant tree at high speeds (though riders can control their experience).
- Treetop Tower — Riders can get a birds-eye view of Wildwood Grove while riding in giant acorns that spin at the top of an oak tree.
- Black Bear Trail — Ride on a black bear and take a scenic tour of the woods.
- Sycamore Swing — This swinging boat ride is like riding on a giant leaf.
- Frogs and Fireflies — Guests can hop on to the back of a frog and chase others around lily pads.
- The Dragon Flier — This family-friendly roller coaster takes riders on an adventure along with a dragonfly.
There will also be an indoor play area called Hidden Hollow with slides and towers and bridges, and a water play area called Wildwood Creek with splash pools and more.
Wildwood Grove is costing about $37 million to build, and about $1 million is being spent just on the landscaping in the park, including 400 trees and 1000 shrubs, according to Lonely Planet.