Kapalua Golf Resort
- This ecosensitive resort in the West Maui Mountains offers fifty-four holes spliced between pineapple fields and the deep-blue Pacific.
- Where to Play:
- The recently renovated Plantation course, home of the Mercedes Championships, is a grand-scale Bill Coore–Ben Crenshaw design that rambles across verdant, heaving terrain high above the ocean. Forget the yardage book: The pitch and roll of the terrain, plus the brisk tradewinds, determine the shot. The Bay and Village courses are scenic second choices.
- When to Go:
- Anytime. Year-round daytime temperatures are in the eighties. Kona winds bring occasional showers in winter.
- Where to Stay:
- An oceanfront villa set on the sand at Kapalua Bay Hotel. The plantation-style resort, perched on a bluff, was named this year by Travel + Leisure as one of the 500 best hotels in the world.
- Don't Miss:
- Luxuriating at the easily accessible, palm tree–lined beach—one of Maui's best ... Snorkeling in the tide pools of Honolua Bay ... Hiking through the Pu'u Kukui Preserve, one of Hawaii's last stands of virgin rain forest and home to rare birds and plants.