These Are Officially the Best Halloween Haunts in America
If you’re looking to have a spooktacular October, the Haunted Attraction Association is here to help.
As the “only official association in the haunt industry,” the HAA takes its job of promoting safe and ethical haunted places very seriously. With that, it’s now revealing its list of the 31 top haunted attractions across the U.S.
According to the HAA, in order to gain its seal of approval, haunted sites must be a member of HAA and meet a list of 10 criteria relating back to the group's mission, which includes: to protect customers, promote haunted attractions, and educate industry professionals.
“Guest safety is a top priority throughout the industry,” HAA President Brett Hays said in a statement. “The number of certified Top Haunt attractions has more than doubled in the past three years, which shows the commitment to safety across the board from our members.”
Sure, this all sounds kind of tame for someone looking for a frightful Halloween, but trust us, you’ll still be screaming, crying, and calling your mom to tell her you love her at all of these places.
Seriously, you think you’re getting through the Haunted Hotel in Kentucky, where ghosts, goblins, and bad guys lurk around every corner, without screaming? How about the fact that the killers hiding inside are actually allowed to touch guests? Is that horrifying enough?
Oh, you assume you’re making it out of the Fear Farm in Arizona without peeing your pants just a little? I don’t think so, especially after you get a good look at their witches.
And don’t even get us started on Terror in the Corn in Colorado. Corn fields are already scary enough without ax murders hiding among them.
Here are 31 different places around the country you can visit with your family this Halloween season where we’re almost positive you’ll make it out alive.
- 13th Floor Haunted House – Denver, Colorado
- Creepy Hollow Haunted House– Rosharon, Texas
- The Factory of Terror– Canton, Ohio
- Fear Fair– Seymour, Indiana
- Fear Farm– Phoenix, Arizona
- Field of Screams – Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Frightland– Middletown, Delaware
- Hauntville Haunted House– Cleveland, Ohio
- Haunted Hollow – Rockwood, Pennsylvania
- Haunted Schoolhouse & Laboratory – Akron, Ohio
- The Haunted Hotel – Louisville, Kentucky
- Hobb’s Grove –Sanger, California
- House of Torment Haunted House– Austin, Texas
- Headless Horseman Hayrides & Haunted Houses– Ulster Park, New York
- Hysterium– Fort Wayne, Indiana
- The Kingwood Asylum– Houston, Texas
- Legends of Fear– Shelton, Connecticut
- Niles Scream Park– Niles, Michigan
- Ruby Falls Haunted Cavern– Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Reaper’s Revenge – Scranton, Pennsylvania
- ScareHouse–Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Scare USA –Two Rivers, Wisconsin
- Shocktoberfest– Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
- Spooky Ranch at Rockin'-R- Ranch – Columbia, Ohio
- Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State Penitentiary – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Terror in the Corn – Erie, Colorado
- Terror on the Fox– Green Bay, Wisconsin
- The Asylum Haunted House– Denver, Colorado
- USS Nightmare– Newport, Kentucky
- Wiard's Orchards Night Terrors– Township, Michigan
- Wisconsin Fear Grounds– Milwaukee, Wisconsin