Pamela Hanson’s Russian Packing List
Destination: St. Petersburg
Packing Approach: Russian Holiday
As one of the fashion world’s top photographers, Pamela Hanson spends a good deal of time traveling for magazine, book, and advertising-campaign shoots. A recent trip to St. Petersburg, however, was all play, with Hanson, her two sons, and her boyfriend on a vacation that was very Doctor Zhivago, complete with snow-covered landscapes and fur Cossack hats. Here, her packing list.
● I had a few wardrobe staples: I wore my cashmere scarf on the plane and never took it off; my Jil Sander coat was very warm; fur hats made us all feel and look Russian; and my shearling-lined Tecnica boots kept my feet toasty and dry."
● Hanson packed everything into two red Mandarina Duck roller bags. "They’re superlight, so I take them on all my trips."
● Her solution for protecting her skin while traveling? "Sensé’s daytime protective emulsion, which combats especially harsh environments, kept me looking fresh."
● My Panerai Luminor Marina dual-time-zone watch was a birthday gift from my boyfriend, so it’s sentimental as well as functional."
● Even though she was there for fun, Hanson couldn’t resist shooting St. Petersburg’s grand architecture, so she brought her Contax T3 along with a Leica digital camera. "The winter light is stunning," she says. "For inspiration I read The Russians, by Hendrick Smith, and Nabokov’s Speak, Memory."