5 Easy Ways to Stay Fit on the Road, According to Hilary Rhoda and Sean Avery
American model Hilary Rhoda and former hockey player (now fiancé) Sean Avery know what it takes to sustain an athletic physique, and letting a jet-set lifestyle get in the way of fitness is not on that list.
“No matter what, we always keep up our exercise routine on vacation,” says Avery. “During our last trip, our schedule included jump rope circuits and sprints down the beach.” Here, their five little secrets to maintaining a healthy lifestyle—no matter how many miles lie between you and your home gym.
1. Avoid eating on the plane. The food is usually very salty and seems to worsen jet lag, body stiffness, and swelling.
2. Exercise as soon as you land, even if it’s the last thing you want to do. “It’s good to get the body moving, and you’ll feel much better afterwards."
3. Run outside when the weather is nice. "It’s a great way to see the city you’re in."
4. Don’t give up on your regular fitness schedule, especially if you frequent brand-name studios. “If I’m lucky enough to be in cities like L.A.,” says Rhoda, “I can easily stick to the fitness routine I have in N.Y.C. by hitting up branches like Tracy Anderson Method and SoulCycle.”
5. Don’t forget your hotel gym!