The Best Times to Book Airfare to 10 Vacation Hot-Spots
We've already shared the best places you should be visiting in 2016, but you can never have enough information when it comes to planning the perfect getaway. Travel planning website Kayak recently released their 2016 Travel Hacker Guide and with it came a few tips you'll want to tuck away for all future vacation planning—including when to book airfare for the best possible deal.
Aside from breaking down the top 10 U.S. destinations for travel (which you can find listed in full below), they also shared the top 10 trending cities around the world, up-and-coming beach locations, the most popular family destinations, the best destinations for deals, and their "Top 10 Luxury for Less Destinations." You can check all of those out on Kayak's full guide. Read on for all of the highlighted cities, and start planning that vacation.
Top 10 Most Popular Destinations
*All listed airfares are round-trip rates from the United States and Canada provided by Kayak
- Las Vegas
- Best time to book airfare: Travelers found the best deals booking three weeks ahead last year. According to Kayak, the median airfare when booked at least a month in advance was $288. The cheapest month to book last year was October ($275). The most expensive month: December with an average airfare of $349.
- New York
- Best time to book airfare: Last year's traveler's found the best deal when booking at least a month in advance—airfare averaged $279. The cheapest month to book last year was October ($281). Travelers heading to New York in June saw the largest airfares, averaging $347.
- Los Angeles
- Best time to book airfare: For the best deal, Kayak recommends trying to get your ticket at least three weeks in advance. The average cost for a plane ticket bought one month in advance last year was $331. The cheapest month book to buy a plane ticket in 2015 was September ($286). The worst month was December when the airfare median was $433.
- Best time to book: Travelers who booked at least one month in advance saw the best deal: airfare averaged $282. The best deal on airfare was found in September last year ($251). Flyers traveling in December saw the biggest rates, averaging $368.
- Best time to book airfare: Kayak suggests booking your ticket at least two months in advance. Prices last year averaged out to $249, and jumped to $278 when planning five months or more ahead. The best deal was found in September last year, when airfare averaged $226. The worst month: November, with an average ticket price of $334.
- San Francisco
- Best time to book airfare: Kayak says to plan on booking at least one month in advance—last year's prices averaged $356. In 2015, the cheapest month to fly was October with airfare averaging out to $336. The most expensive month was July when a ticket averaged $429.
- Best time to book airfare: Travelers who purchased their tickets at least two months in advance saw the best deal last year, with airfare averaging $250. The best months to fly last year were January and October, when airfare averaged $238. The worst month: December, when the airfare average spiked to $334.
- Best time to book airfare: Kayak suggests buying your ticket at least a month in advance of your trip and expect to pay around $290. Last year, the best month for flying was September when airfare averaged $248. The most expensive month to fly in 2015 was December, with an average airfare price of $413.
- Best time to book airfare: In 2015, travelers who booked at least two months in advance saw a median airfare of $266. Long-term planners who booked six months in advance got a ticket for around $247. Last year, flying in September was the cheapest with airfare averaging $266. The most expensive month of the year to fly was November ($345).
- Best time to book airfare: Last year, booking your ticket one month in advance got you an airfare around $323. Last October, flyers saw an average airfare price of $301 in October. You may want to steer clear of flying in July, when prices averaged out to $408, the most expensive of the year.
Erika Owen is the Audience Engagement Editor at Travel + Leisure. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @erikaraeowen.