It’s the holidays, and you’ve got places to go, people (perhaps in-laws?) to see. And travel season brings with it some very specific beauty conundrums: how do you look glamorous and fresh while traveling, all while packing the TSA-friendly products and editing your make-up bag down to the must-have essentials? Here, Travel + Leisure’s beauty editor, Jacqui Gifford, shares some of her tips for the season.
1. Don't leave home without a great cushion compact. These ingenious products—a Korean beauty innovation, now all the rage Stateside—are great while traveling because they are less messy than a regular foundation, provide a youthful glow, and are oh-so-easy to toss in your bag. Two of my favorites are Amore Pacific Color Control Cushion Compact Broad Spectrum SPF 50, and Lancôme’s Miracle Cushion Liquid Cushion Compact. Both are lightweight, non-greasy, and leave me feeling like I can conquer the world.
2. Wipes are multi-purpose. I always pack a bag—Burt’s Bees and L’Occitane make great ones—and use them to refresh my face, clean my hands, or even wipe down the tray in front of me on the plane.
3. Your eyes get tired—so give them some TLC. Dark circles tend to appear around the holidays, whether it’s from the cold weather, too much drinking or a nasty case of jet lag. To cover them up, pack concealers like Bobbi Brown’s Under Eye Tint, YSL’s Touche Éclat, or Nudestix genius Concealer Pencil. And if you want to give yourself a mini-spa treatment, try Chantecaille’s Gold Eye Energizing Recovery Mask, a gel treatment packed with 24K gold and silk that plumps and boosts the delicate under eye skin. (They are subtle clear gel masks, one for each eye, and I even wear them on the plane!) And if you’re on a time crunch, you can also try M-61’s Vitablast C Scrub and Mask, a one-minute treatment packed with antioxidants like vitamin E and seabuckthorn. Tadah, instant brightening!
4. Perfume can be a lifesaver. If you’ve got a planes, trains, and automobiles situation ahead of you, it never hurts to have a travel-size fragrance in your bag. (Who knows when that next shower will be?) It’s also nice to have a little bit of home (and luxury!) with you on the road. I am obsessed with Tom Ford’s incredible perfumes, and they are all acceptable sizes for carry-on. I’ve toted Neroli Portofino, Patchouli Absolu, and Tobacco Oud with me to places such as Greece, Antigua, and Mexico.
5. Dry shampoo can lift lifeless locks. Cabin pressure can wreak havoc on your hair, leaving it flat, dull, and greasy. Pack a dry shampoo, like Dry Bar Detox Dry Shampoo or Bumble and Bumble’s hair powder, which comes in four different shades.
6. Red for the holidays ain’t cheesy—it’s fun. Go bold on your lips or nails. I love Nars Semi Matte Lipstick in Jungle Red; Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy in Carnal; and Chanel Rouge Allure in Pirate. As far as nail polishes go, try these dramatic shades: Burberry Beauty Military Red; Butter London’s Her Majesty’s Red Patent Shine; and Dolce & Gabanna Scarlett.