The Most Affordable Spring Break Destinations
We teamed up with Booking.com to find the most inexpensive Spring Break locations for you, no matter when you may be taking off.
It's the age-old question: When actually is Spring Break? It varies, depending on your situation. It seems every school has a different break—ranging anywhere from early March to early May—and that's not even factoring in college schedules. Cut to adulthood when it's less about homework-free days and more an issue of using some of that hard-earned PTO, and you can justify taking a spring getaway anytime you want.
No matter what you're planning to do (cross-country road trip, anyone?), setting a budget is always a good idea. To break down some of the confusion, we teamed up with Booking.com to shed some light on the least expensive places to visit for the entire time period between March 15th and May 1st. While the overall average cost of "Spring Break" vacations has increased 4 percent since last year, there are a few cities that stood out as the most wallet-friendly over the entire nine-week period: Cancun (a whopping 45 percent cheaper than it was in 2015), Panama City Beach (11 percent cheaper), and San Diego (6 percent cheaper).
If you're heading someone outside of those three destinations, you're in luck. Ahead, we map out just how much cheaper some of the country's most popular spring destinations are this year compared to prices in 2015.
Week of March 15th - March 21st
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico: 13% cheaper
- Santa Barbara, California: 10% cheaper
Week of March 22nd - March 28th
- Virginia Beach, Virginia: 25% cheaper
- Reno, Nevada: 16% cheaper
- San Antonio, Texas: 11% cheaper
- Las Vegas, Nevada: 4% cheaper
Week of March 29th - April 4th
- South Padre Island: 30% cheaper
- Miami, Florida: 19% cheaper
- Miami Beach, Florida: 13% cheaper
- Atlanta, Georgia: 11% cheaper
Week of April 5th - April 11th
- Corpus Christi, Texas: 38% cheaper
- Daytona Beach, Florida: 17% cheaper
- Palm Springs, Florida: 14% cheaper
- Key West, Florida: 3% cheaper
Week of April 12th - April 18th
- Clearwater Beach, Florida: 15% cheaper
- Ocean City, Maryland: 19% cheaper
- Orlando, Florida: 4% cheaper
Week of April 19th - April 25th
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: 5% cheaper
Week of April 26th Through May 1st
- Atlantic City, New Jersey: 36% cheaper
- New Orleans, Louisiana: 25% cheaper
- Monterey, California: 15% cheaper
- Savannah, Georgia: 4% cheaper
Erika Owen is the Audience Engagement Editor at Travel + Leisure. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @erikaraeowen.