Infant Overheats on Delayed United Flight: 'I Really Thought My Son Was Going to Die'
An infant overheated and appeared to become unconscious Thursday during an extensive delay on a United Airlines flight.
Refueling and poor weather caused the delay that stranded the passengers onboard the plane for over two hours, the child’s mother, Emily France, told The Denver Post.
France was briefly allowed to take her child outside for fresh air during the Denver heatwave that saw temperatures soar into the 90s, but she soon had to return to the cabin with the rest of the passengers.
“They were not equipped to handle it,” France said. “They couldn’t evacuate us. It was chaos. I really thought my son was going to die in my arms.”
An ambulance brought the child from the gate to nearby Children’s Hospital to recover and he was released Friday.
“This should never have happened,” United Airlines said in a statement to NBC News. “We are profoundly sorry to our customer and her child for the experience they endured. We are actively looking into what happened to prevent this from occurring again.”
This incident was just the latest in a string of public mishaps for the airline, including when passenger David Dao was forcibly dragged off a flight in April and when a scorpion fell out of the overhead bin and stung a passenger in that same month.