ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP/Getty Images

Sunday's earthquake was the strongest to strike Italy since 1980.

October 31, 2016

A powerful earthquake struck central Italy on Sunday, the third such event in the past five days alone.

The earthquake was a 6.5 on the Richter scale, making it the strongest in the country since 1980. It struck near Norcia in the Umbria region, and it has forced 15,000 people out of their homes, the BBC reported, citing Italy's civil protection agency.

The resulting destruction and displacement Sunday follows after two back-to-back earthquakes in the region Wednesday, as well as a quake in Amatrice in August that left nearly 300 people dead. 

 ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP/Getty Images

Authorities have not reported any fatalities in this latest quake, as many residents of the town had already evacuated after their homes were destroyed in one of the prior earthquakes, according to the New York Times.

“We will broaden the crater zone so no town must fear it might be left out,” Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said Sunday, the Times reported. Renzi's government had already allocated some 40 million euros, or approximately $44 million, to reconstruction following Wednesday's quakes.

“Italy has its limitations and defects, but in these circumstances it gives the best of itself,” he said.

How to Help

People looking to help the victims of the earthquake can donate to several organizations that are working closely with the local residents and government to help victims.

The Italian Red Cross has served as first responders on the ground in the quake-hit communities, providing first aid, meals and psychological counseling.

The non-profit National Italian American Foundation has also raised funds for the victims of the quakes, and accepts donations online.

You May Like