U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Jonathan Clay/Released

The Coast Guard is investigating.

Jess McHugh
October 31, 2017

Authorities have begun to question the account of two women who were lost at sea for five months and recently rescued.

Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava started their voyage from Hawaii to Tahiti in May, and said they were engulfed in a Force 11 storm off the coast of Oahu soon after.

"I had no idea that we were going to be in this thing for 80 solid hours," Appel told the Associated Press.

The National Weather Service found no record of severe weather anywhere near the route that Appel and Fuiava claimed to have been on.

The sailing pair had been at sea for five months, along with their dogs, when the U.S. Navy rescued them in the Pacific Ocean in October. They recounted harrowing tales of surviving storms and several shark attacks.

The Coast Guard has begun to question several elements of their account, however, according to the same AP report.

The two women had multiple communication devices onboard, including an emergency beacon, which they strangely never used. Appel and Fuiava told the Coast Guard that they never used it because they did not feel truly distressed at any point in time.

Another point of confusion was that they had multiple chances to stop in alternative ports and chose not to, each time providing a different reason for why it was unsafe.

The Coast Guard is continuing to gather information around the situation, and it is not a criminal investigation at this time.

You May Like