Shanghai Travel Guide
With a population of more than 23 million, Shanghai is China’s largest and most developed metropolis on the mainland. It first began its rise to international prominence in the early 20th century, and it has remained one of the world's most important and powerful cities ever since. The city is situated on the estuary of the famed Yangtze River, and serves as the most influential economic, financial, international trade, cultural, science and technology center in eastern China. Travel to Shanghai to visit one of Asia’s most amazing cities.
Travelers to Shanghai can enjoy outdoor activities like boating, Jinjiang Amusement Park, Shanghai City Beach, and Shanghai Propaganda Poster and Art Centre. Check out these other attractions in our Shanghai travel guide.
Things Not to Miss in Shanghai
• Yu Yuan Garden, also known as the Garden of Peace and Comfort.
• The Nanhui District, where there’s a peach blossom festival held from March to April every year.
• Shanghai’s architecture is also worth checking out—the city has undergone a massive urban renewal over the last few decades. Visit the 492-meter high Shanghai World Financial Center, located in Pudong. It’s the world's second-tallest building.
• Relax at the White Jade Buddha Temple, a temple with a statue made of a single stone placed along with the ancient carvings and paintings.
• Shanghai travel is noted for its shopping—it’s the city’s favorite pastime. Visit Nanjing Road, the world's longest shopping district, at 5.5 km long. It attracts over 1 million visitors daily.
When to Go to Shanghai
Spring and autumn are the best times to visit Shanghai. Autumn is very beautiful, with red leaves everywhere, and travelers can enjoy the water crab festival. If you are a tourist, then you better avoid going during the one-week national holiday in October, because it is extremely crowded during those days. The winter in Shanghai is cold, and not recommended for traveling. March to May is the best season to explore nature in Shanghai as the spring flowers are in full bloom and weather is pleasant for sightseeing.