The Indonesian archipelago is made up of over 17,000 islands scattered across 3,000 miles of ocean between Asia and Australia. Turquoise water laps at blinding white beaches and volcanic mountains blanketed in misty rainforest rise out of the sea. Travel to Indonesia is unforgettable, no matter which islands you choose to visit, so don’t worry about seeing everything—the archipelago is just too big to visit everything at once. Some popular islands for Indonesia travel are Sumatra, Java, Komodo and of course, Bali. As an adventure destination or a luxury vacation, you can’t beat Indo, which has some of the finest spa hotels next to the best surf in the world. Check out Travel + Leisure’s Indonesia travel guide for the best hotels, restaurants, and sights.
Things Not to Miss in Indonesia
• See the dragons in Komodo National Park
• Hike one of Indonesia’s many active and dormant volcanoes, like Gunung Bromo in East Java or Gunung Agung in Bali
• Tour the coffee plantations while sipping a fresh brew
• Ride a becak in Malang or Jakarta
• Tour the Borobudur and Prambanan temples near Yogyakarta
• Visit the orangutan sanctuary in Bukit Lawang on Sumatra
• Go surfing!
When to Go to Indonesia
When planning your visit to Indonesia, be sure to book during the dry season from June to September. The rest of the year is the rainy season when the weather is wet and overcast.