Things to do in Houston
Houston's museums cover the gamut from space travel to modern art, while Hermann Park and the Galleria provide less cerebral distractions.
- Johnson Space Center. Exhibits cover the history of NASA expeditions and visitors can touch a moon rock.
- Museum of Fine Arts Houston. At over 300,000 square feet, Houston's Museum of Fine Arts is one of the largest art museums in the country. Among its seven buildings is the only Mies van der Rohe designed museum in the United States.
- Menil Collection. Architect Renzo Piano's first American commission was the building to house the collection of John and Dominique de Menil. Especially notable for its early modernist art it also includes works ranging from South Pacific carvings to Byzantine frescoes.
- Hermann Park. Near Rice University and the Museum District, this park is one of Houston's most popular and is also home to the Houston Zoo, a Japanese Garden, and the Museum of Natural Science.
- The Galleria. At 3 million square feet, with 375 stores, a hotel, and an ice-skating rink, the Galleria is a destination in its own right. It's also the largest mall in Texas and the 8th largest in the country.
Explore things to do in Texas for more options.