Located in Germany’s second-largest metropolitan region, Frankfurt is known for its futuristic architecture, bustling atmosphere and position as Germany’s financial center. The city is split in half by the Main River, a tributary of the outsized Rhine River, and features a wonderful mixture of quaint, traditional architecture alongside hyper-modern skyscrapers. Meanwhile, those who travel to Frankfurt will quickly notice that the city’s residents are a mixed bunch with more than 180 nationalities from around the world calling the city home and making the city more international than traditionally German. What’s more, for those who visit Frankfurt will discover a city that is teeming with well-curated museums and historical sites, endless shopping opportunities, world-class restaurants, and a careful balance of the natural and the manmade. It’s simply a matter of knowing exactly where to start and Travel + Leisure’s Frankfurt travel guide will gladly lead the way.
Things Not to Miss in Frankfurt
• Explore the Frankfurt City Forest, Germany’s largest forest housed within a city
• Visit the “old town” in the Altstadt district, Frankfurt’s historic neighborhood
• Do some window shopping along the Zeil, Frankfurt’s version of Fifth Avenue
• Head to the observatory of The Main Tower for a panoramic view of the city’s skyline
• Tour the Goethe House, the birthplace of famed German writer and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
• Admire the Frankfurt Cathedral, a 15th-century gothic cathedral, which once served as the coronation site for Roman-German emperors
• Drink like the locals at any one of the city’s many cider taverns
• Explore the Palmengarten Botanical Gardens and its 50-acres of plant life
• Walk along the Museumsufer, the row of museums on either side of the Main River
When to Go to Frankfurt
Frankfurt stays relatively cool year round with summer heat rarely exceeding 80 degrees and winter temperatures hovering in the 40s. With that in mind, those looking to get the best out of their vacation should visit Frankfurt between April and October when the daily weather is pleasant if a bit brisk and sunny days are much more likely.