Weather Channel Video: Weekend Getaways From San Francisco
Travel + Leisure's Sarah Spagnolo presents easy weekend getaways from San Francisco on the Weather Channel's Wake Up and Go.
1. EMERGING FOOD SCENE: Oakland, California
A now-thriving restaurant scene has put this East Bay City—just a 20-minute drive across the bridge from San Francisco—on the traveler’s map. WHERE TO STAY The Waterfront Hotel, a 143-room property right on the marina, with a heated pool, weekday wine and cheese hour, and a fireplace and balcony in every room. PRICE $149 a night. BOOK NOW
2. FAMILY ESCAPE: Carmel, California
Those looking for a bucolic escape with a dose of celebrity cache will love Carmel-by-the-Sea, two hours south of San Francisco. WHERE TO STAY Clint Eastwood’s Mission Ranch Hotel, for 31 guest rooms on 22 rolling acres. Stay busy hiking towards the crashing waves at Point Lobos or playing tennis on one of six courts at the sprawling fitness center. PRICE $139 a night. BOOK NOW
3. WINE SCENE: Napa Valley, California
California’s Napa Valley, one hour north of San Francisco, is the place for rustic-luxe hotels, Michelin-started restaurants, and cult wineries. WHERE TO STAY Westin Verasa Napa, in the heart of downtown, offers easy access to more than 30 restaurants and the Oxbow Public Market—plus those plush Westin Heavenly Beds. PRICE From $169 a night. BOOK NOW
TRAVEL TECH TIPS T+L recently attended the 2012 PhoCusWright Conference (phocuswright.com). Here are two of our favorite web apps from the Travel Innovation Summit:
- KnowDelay (knowdelay.com) This site, now in beta, helps frequent fliers predict weather delays, and provides information on alternate flights that land within one hour of the original arrival time.
- Rome2Rio (rome2rio.com) Like HopStop on steroids, this website allows travelers to input two destinations (address, landmark, or city), and offers specific instructions on how to navigate between them with flights as well as public transportation.