Best ways to avoid hotel surcharges
- Be proactive. Ask when you book if there are any mandatory fees (and taxes) that will be added to your bill. Seasoned travelers know to look for these charges before they book and to complain about them in advance.
- Check your bill carefully before you sign it. It's easier to dispute a charge at checkout than afterward.
- Calmly object if you think a fee is unfair or was not disclosed in advance. Desk clerks often have the authority to remove them.
- If not, ask for the manager.
- Forget it—until the next time you book a hotel. Then go somewhere that charges guests fairly.