PISCES (February 19–March 20)
Motto: I believe.
Ideal Getaway: Mystically inclined Pisces will appreciate any destination that inspires a spiritual awakening, and might enjoy such simple pleasures as chapel-hopping in Rome this year. For extra karma points, they could be down for the night in the Casa di Santa Brigida, a warm but frugal convent hotel run by nuns.
- A pilgrimage to Galicia’s Santiago de Compostela.
- Visits to the evocative Ancestral Puebloan sites across the Four Corners (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah).
Courtesy of AirFareWatchDog.com
ARIES (March 21–April 19)
Motto: I risk.
Ideal Getaway: Aries rails against planning and preparation—which saps the spontaneous fun out of life, after all. The destination doesn’t matter, as long as it’s a spur-of-the-moment choice: bookmark Airfarewatchdog.com, and go with whatever’s cheapest next weekend.
- An ad hoc road trip, stopping wherever and whenever.
- An adrenaline-hyping weekend at Las Vegas blackjack tables or on roller coasters at Cedar Point, OH.
Courtesy of Villa-Moda
TAURUS (April 20–May 20)
Motto: I own.
Ideal Getaway: Acquisitive Taurus can’t travel without the chance of picking up some souvenirs, so they should book a power-shopping getaway somewhere wallet-busting like Dubai’s Villa Moda with a stay in a suite nearby at the soon-to-open six-star Palazzo Versace, which has a refrigerated beach to offset the sweltering 122-degree weather.
- Anything five star (hotel, resort, restaurant), for maximum luxury.
- Food and wine tasting in California or Italy.
GEMINI (May 21–June 20)
Motto: I learn.
Ideal Getaway: Like a chatty intellectual magpie, change-loving Gemini needs to return from any vacation with plenty of stories to tell. Places like the Hotel Puerta América in Madrid, where each floor has been masterminded by a different starchitect (from Norman Foster to Zaha Hadid), are ideal for a Gemini, who can change rooms nightly for a fresh experience.
- Trips by train, for the chance to chat with locals.
- Three-day mini breaks in big, exciting cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco.
CANCER (June 21–July 22)
Motto: I nurture.
Ideal Getaway: Home-loving Cancer isn’t a natural globe-trotter, but will readily pack a bag for a pampering hideout somewhere cozy, like the Czech town Karlovy Vary. Muscovite billionaires have revived the former spa Mecca (and playground for the imperial White Russians) to create a feel-good getaway with new, glamorous hot spots like the five-star Carlsbad Plaza Hotel.
- House swapping.
- Cozy, family-run B&Bs on Cape Cod.
Courtesy of Starwood Hotels
LEO (July 23–August 22)
Motto: I star.
Ideal Getaway: Every limelight-loving Leo has an inner Julia Roberts straining to break free, which is why destinations like up-and-coming African filmmaking hub Lagos, Nigeria, have Leo written all over it. Beyond possibly being discovered as the next Nollywood star, Leos could stay at the brand-new, sure-to-be-star-studded Le Meridien Ibom Hotel, opening January 2009.
- Vancouver, to spot slumming-it Hollywoodites filming up north.
- Seven days of theater in London’s West End.
VIRGO (August 23–September 22)
Motto: I must.
Ideal Getaway: Dutiful, industrious Virgo never lets hands lie idle, so a “volunteer vacation” is perfect, like the New Orleans JW Marriott package, which supports the Big Easy Spirit to Serve program. Guests are given a boxed lunch and labor on Habitat for Humanity projects from 7 a.m. each day, and the hotel also donates $50 to the charity in your name. The only thing not included: sightings of N’awlins regular Brad Pitt.
- Hiking or camping in the Grand Tetons.
- A solo yoga getaway to improve body and mind.
Courtesy of Finishing Academy
LIBRA (September 23–October 22)
Motto: I charm.
Ideal Getaway: You can never be too polite or too put-together in a Libra’s eyes, so a place to perfect politesse, like U.K. residential Finishing Academy for adults, would appeal—its classes on everything from deportment to dashing off thank-you notes would be a treat for Libra. Even better, the academy is run in a British country house, for an extra dose of Jane Austen.
Courtesy of Queen Anne Hotel
SCORPIO (October 23–November 21)
Motto: I smooch.
Ideal Getaway: Romance is never far from Scorpio’s frisky mind. A sex-soaked location like the Queen Anne hotel in San Francisco, an antique-crammed onetime brothel turned luxury bolt-hole, strikes the right mood. Keep an eye out for specter sightings of a previous tenant, Miss Mary Lake, who’s often spotted in Room 410.
- A secluded honeymoon villa like St. Regis Bora Bora.
- Voodoo-soaked New Orleans appeals to Scorpio’s gothic side.
Georgina Strange, Design in Nature
SAGITTARIUS (November 22–December 21)
Motto: I explore.
Ideal Getaway: Anywhere hard-to-reach and outdoorsy is a dream destination for Sagittarius, blessed with levels of energy and enthusiasm that would tire the Energizer Bunny. The Falkland Islands, off Argentina’s coast—a 24-hour, three-flight-minimum trip from the U.S.—and a room on all-organic Bleaker Island would fit the bill.
- Horseback adventures at a Texas dude ranch.
- A cruise around the Caribbean with stops at a different island country every day.