Here's my personal and subjective list of five things I want to seek out to taste this month in San Francisco:
1. Creative cupcakes from punky pastry chef Luis Villavelazquez, whose Les Elements stand at the biweekly Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market includes an intriguing Darjeeling tea cupcake with black pepper frosting.
2. The Margharita pizza from Una Pizza Napoletana, where the dough is made from wild yeast spores and topped with buffalo mozzarella.
3. Local Hodo Soy Beanery's yuba tofu strips, marinated in spicy teriyaki sauce and pan-fried.
4. A whisky cocktail at the newly renovated House of Shields, one of the city's most historic and beautiful bars.
5. The red velvet fried chicken (yes, really) at American Cupcake (pictured above).
Jaime Gross is Travel + Leisure's San Francisco correspondent.