The countdown is finally over: today, the Thompson Miami Beach opens in the heart of SoBe, bringing just the right mix of sophisticated design and up-all-night fun to Ocean Drive. And we're not the only ones who are excited—as the new flagship for Thompson Hotels, it's a big move for a brand on the rise. Here, five things we can't wait to check out.
1. Those rooms. All 380 of them, spread across three main towers. Miami has no shortage of beach inspired decor, so the bright pops of color and boho-chic vibe by Martin Brudnizki are a welcome surprise. Our favorite touches? Mid-century chairs upholstered in vibrant florals, and art deco bar carts straight out of a 1950's living room.
2. The food. Miami is abuzz with the promise of another Michelle Bernstein restaurant, which comes in the form of Seagrape, on the hotel's first floor. The doyenne of Floridian fare has been tight lipped on the menu, but we hear there may be squid ink spaghettini with uni and brown butter dashi. If that's any indication, we're all in.
3. The bar. There may be two watering holes on site, but we're most eager to try 1930s House. The entire building was once a bungalow across the street, and it's been brought to the beachside piece by piece. Now it finds new life as an indoor-outdoor space with clay floors, an original limestone fireplace, and top-notch cocktails.
4. Two killer pools. Patterned cabanas, a private garden, and umbrellas in all shades of pastels—his is retro South Beach at its finest.
5. Open-air spa cabanas. Need we say more?
Nikki Ekstein is an Assistant Editor at Travel + Leisure and part of the Trip Doctor news team. Find her on Twitter at @nikkiekstein.