Africa + the Middle East
1. Fairmont Mara Safari Club, Masai Mara, Kenya
Spot river-bathing hippos and crocodiles from one of 50 tents abutting the Masai Mara National Reserve, then jump into a Toyota Land Cruiser for a nighttime game drive. Doubles from $489.
2. Tortilis Camp, Amboseli, Kenya
Snowcapped Kilimanjaro looms over 17 cushy tents and grounds where elephants roam. Doubles from $970, all-inclusive.
3. Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town, South Africa
Crisply updated rooms and an edge-of-the-world setting on the rocky Atlantic coast. Doubles from $695, including breakfast.
4. Royal Livingstone, Victoria Falls, Zambia
Colonial-style rooms on the banks of the Zambezi River; guests can take part in socially responsible initiatives, such as helping local women tie-dye textiles for sale. Doubles from $934.
5. Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, Nanyuki, Kenya
Actor William Holden’s manicured mountaintop haven now lures active families for horseback riding, fishing, and morning game walks in the private reserve. Doubles from $299.
6. Singita Kruger National Park, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Two lavish lodges—treetop suites or riverside rooms on stilts, along with twice-daily game drives and kids’ safaris with tracking tutorials. Families with children under 10 must rent out an entire lodge. From $1,423 per person, all-inclusive.
7. Serengeti Sopa Lodge, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Game drives depart twice daily from this friendly, low-key retreat on the plains. Doubles from $450, including meals.
8. Singita Sabi Sand, Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
Private outdoor showers and well-stocked wine cellars, plus photography-focused safaris led by renowned wildlife lensman Adrian Steirn and cultural outings to a nearby village to share meals with locals. From $1,500 per person per night, all-inclusive.
9. Bateleur Camp at Kichwa Tembo Camp, Masai Mara, Kenya
All the romance of 1920’s Africa, with Masai storytelling for kids and lessons in tracking wild game. Doubles from $400, including meals and some activities.
10. Royal Malewane, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Twenty guests max at this refined bush camp with pull-out-all-the-stops suites (Persian carpets and claw-foot tubs). Families with children under 12 must rent out the entire spread. Doubles from $1,333, all-inclusive.