14. Disney’s Polynesian Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Tiki-themed expanse: a four-story “volcano” feeds the pool and luaus take place nightly. Doubles from $510.
15. Whiteface Lodge, Lake Placid, New York
Nouveau Adirondacks great camp with its own ice-skating rink and bowling alley. Doubles from $477.
16. Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Lagoon-side grande dame with windows overlooking Cinderella’s Castle, on the Magic Kingdom monorail loop. Doubles from $575.
17. Four Seasons Resort, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Ski-in, ski-out lodge at the base of Jackson Hole Mountain, with year-round active adventures (from rafting to geocaching). Doubles from $275.
18. Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa, Lost Pines, Texas
Horseback riding, skeet shooting, and hayrides add Texas twang to this compound outside Austin. Doubles from $339.
19. Kiawah Island Golf Resort, South Carolina
Great Value Five hundred vacation villas that share the same barrier island and amenities as the Sanctuary (No. 6). Villas from $205.
20. Vail Cascade Resort & Spa, Colorado
Right outside downtown Vail, with the area’s biggest fitness facility and a chairlift servicing Vail Mountain. Doubles from $349.
21. Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, Florida
Fanciful Italian-themed resort (a waterslide modeled on a Roman aqueduct; arias performed on balconies) that is a quick water-taxi ride from Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Doubles from $304.
22. The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
Great Value Dress for dinner at this Georgian beauty in the Allegheny Mountains, home to an off-road driving school and a former top-secret Cold War bunker. Doubles from $249.
23. Cloister at Sea Island, Sea Island, Georgia
Beloved by generations of well-heeled Southerners, a 1928 Mediterranean-style spread with three pools, an ice cream parlor, a tennis club, and a movie theater. Doubles from $395.
24. Sandpearl Resort, Clearwater, Florida
The most sophisticated digs in this part of the Gulf Coast, with citrus-hued rooms and apartment-like suites. Doubles from $379.
25. The Breakers, Palm Beach, Florida
A 1926 Italian Renaissance–inspired icon with newly redesigned suites and family-pleasing pool bungalows. Doubles from $499.