View from Chicago’s Millennium Park
Published: August 2013
By Rod O'Connor
What T+L spotted from the Renzo Piano-designed Michols Bridgeway, in Chicago’s Millennium Park.
Photo: Kevin Miyazaki
1. The Langham: Mies van der Rohe’s black IBM Building now houses one of the city’s buzziest new hotels. The ground-floor lobby was designed by Dirk Lohan, the architect’s grandson. $$$
2. Sixteen: Joël Robuchon protégé Thomas Lents is earning raves at the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago’s 16th-floor restaurant. Order the Wagyu rib eye “coal” with eggplant caviar. $$$$
3. Art Institute of Chicago: The Bridgeway connects to the museum’s Modern Wing (also by Renzo Piano), where Warhol’s 15-foot-tall portrait of Mao was just rehung.
4. Jay Pritzker Pavilion: Not to be missed at this outdoor, 11,000-seat venue by Frank Gehry? Arias from Madama Butterfly by the Lyric Opera of Chicago (Sept. 7).
5. Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel: Book an east-facing corner room in the Aqua Tower for a wraparound balcony overlooking Lake Michigan. $$
6. Lurie Garden: This month, the five-acre oasis is awash in autumn colors. Look for pink Japanese anemone and red switchgrass on the banks of a shallow stream.
$ Less than $200
$$ $200 to $350
$$$ $350 to $500
$$$$ $500 to $1,000
$$$$$ More than $1,000
$ Less than $25
$$ $25 to $75
$$$ $75 to $150
$$$$ More than $150