6. Fort Lewis Golf Course, Fort Lewis, WA Architect: WPA, 1937. Yardage/Slope: 6,865/125 (Red-Blue). Guest Fee: $30. Tee Times: 253-967-6522. (Open to the public.) Made up of three nine-hole courses—the Red, Blue and Green—Fort Lewis now allows civilians to enjoy its glimpses of Mt. Ranier, enormous trees and vertical bunkers.
7. Sewell's Point Golf Course, Norfolk, VA Architect: Donald Ross, 1927. Yardage/Slope: 6,280/125. Guest Fee: $24. Tee Times: 757-444-5572. Based on the Muirfield links in Scotland, Sewell's Point is hallmark Ross—deep bunkers, tight fairways, bowl-shape greens and risk-reward decisions aplenty. The historic clubhouse is a beaut.
8. Miramar Memorial Golf Club, San Diego, CA Architects: Jack Daray Jr. and Kenneth Welton, 1964. Yardage/Slope: 6,818/126. Guest Fee: $26. Tee Times: 858-577-4155. Water and wind present enormous challenges on this picturesque but relatively flat layout. The front has three bearish par fives. May be the best-conditioned course in the military.
9. The Legends at Parris Island, Parris Island, SC Architects: Fred Findlay, 1947; Clyde Johnston, 2000. Yardage/Slope: 6,827/129. Guest Fee: $35. Tee Times: 843-525-2240. (Open to the public.) After a $4.2 million redo, this layout now competes with Hilton Head's best tracks. Sloping greens, tree-narrowed fairways and eleven lakes make it tough.
10. Moose Run Golf Course, Creek Course, Anchorage, AK Architect: Robin Nelson, 2000. Yardage/Slope: 7,324/142. Guest Fee: $35. Tee Times: 907-428-0056. (Open to the public.) The longest course in Alaska is also the most scenic. Half the holes face the Chugach mountain range. Intimidation comes in the form of the par-five eleventh, a 640-yard monster that plays through a rock quarry.
Also Worth Their Stripes
Fort Jackson Golf Club, Old Hickory Course
Fort Jackson, South Carolina
Mamala Bay Golf Course
Fort Meade Golf Course, Applewood Course
Fort Meade, Maryland
The Cardinal Golf Club, Fort Lee Golf Course
Fort Lee, Virginia
Camp Pendleton Golf Course
Camp Pendleton, California
Navy Marine Golf Course
Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Naval Air Station Jacksonville Golf Club
A.C. Read Golf Course
Naval Air Station Pensacola
Marshalia Ranch Golf Course
Vandenberg Air Force Base
Santa Barbara, California