TIP FROM THE PRO
Keeping the Ball Down
The Church course is very open to the elements, particularly the wind. The low punch or knockdown shot is therefore indispensable.
First off, choose the right club. A yardage chart is irrelevant in the wind. Depending on the strength of the wind and your experience, you'll need to upgrade by one, two or three clubs.
Grip down fractionally on the handle. This helps shorten the swing and offers more control. Take a slightly wider stance than normal for maximum stability, and place the ball back in your stance.
Complete the shoulder turn, and keep the club traveling low. With your hands ahead of the club head, drive the ball on a low trajectory. Feel
your body move over the ball at impact. Finish with your weight on the front foot.
--Mark Arrowsmith, Pro, St. Enodoc Golf Club
WHERE TO PLAY
• Cape Cornwall Golf & Country Club, St. Just, Penzance
par/yardage: 70, 5,650
architect: Bob Hamilton
• Falmouth Golf Club, Swanpool Rd., Falmouth
par/yardage: 71, 6,113
architect: Bryan Patterson
• Mullion Golf Club, Cury, Helston
par/yardage: 70, 6,037
architect: W. Sich
• St. Enodoc Golf Club, Church/Holywell courses, Rock, Wadebridge
par/yardage: 69, 6,243 (Church); 63, 4,143 (Holywell)
architect: James Braid
• St. Mellion Hotel Golf & Country Club, Nicklaus/Old courses, Saltash
par/yardage: 72, 6,651 (Nicklaus); 68, 5,782 (Old)
architects: Jack Nicklaus; J. Hamilton Stutt (Old)
• Trevose Golf and Country Club, Constantine Bay, Padstow
par/yardage: 71, 6,608
architect: Harry Colt
WHERE TO STAY
In addition to the following, the National Trust has numerous coastal properties for rent. Call 011-44-1-208-742814.
• Abbey Hotel, Abbey St., Penzance, 011-44-1-736-366906
• Hotel Tresanton, Lower Castle Rd., St. Mawes,011-44-1-326-270055
• St. Enodoc Hotel, Rock, Wadebridge, 011-44-1-208-863394
• St. Mellion Hotel Golf & Country Club, Saltash,011-44-1-579-351351
WHERE TO DINE
• Atlantic View Hotel, Tintagel,011-44-1-840-770221
• Brocks Restaurant, The Strand, Padstow,011-44-1-841-532565
• Crab Pot, Harbour Rd., Porthleven,011-44-1-326-573355
• Critchards Seafood Restaurant, Harbour Head, Porthleven, 011-44-1-326-562407
• La Belle Alliance Restaurant, The Old Rd., Boscastle, 011-44-1-840-250202
• Porthminster Beach Café, Porthminster Beach, St. Ives, 011-44-1-736-795352
• The Rising Sun, The Square, St. Mawes, 011-44-1-326-270233
• Seafood Restaurant, Riverside, Padstow, 011-44-1-841-532485
• Star Inn Pub, Fore St., St. Just in Penwith, 011-44-1-736-788767
• St. Petroc's Bistro, New St., Padstow, 011-44-1-841-532700
• The Turk's Head, 49 Chapel St., Penzance, 011-44-1-736-363093
• The Wheelhouse, Quayside, Port Isaac, 011-44-1-208-880226
WHILE YOU'RE THERE
• Barbara Hepworth Museum & Sculpture Garden, Barnoon Hill, St. Ives, 011- 44-1-736-796226
• Iles of Scilly Steamship Co. Ltd., Steamship House, Quay St., Penzance, 011-44-1-736-362009
• Tintagel Castle, Tintagel Head, Tintagel, 011-44-1-840-770328
THE T&L GOLF ITINERARY
DAY ONE: Check in at Penzance's Abbey Hotel, where model Jean Shrimpton plays host. Play Mullion Golf Club. Lunch at the Crab Pot. Return to Penzance. Board the Scillonian III for views of St. Michael's Mount and the Iles of Scilly. Dine at the Turk's Head.
DAY TWO: Play Cape Cornwall. Head south to Land's End. Have lunch and a pint at the three-hundred-year-old Star Inn Pub. Drive to artsy St. Ives and the Barbara Hepworth Museum & Sculpture Garden. Have dinner at Porthminster Beach Café.
DAY THREE: Play Falmouth Golf Club. Pick up a lunch of pasties and some Cornish ice cream (clotted cream), and drive to the Lizard Peninsula for a rugged hike along the cliffs and dinner at Critchards. Or go to St. Mawes, a suddenly chic port town, and stay at the Hotel Tresanton. Eat at the Rising Sun.
DAY FOUR: Drive to Saltash and check in at St. Mellion's hotel. Play the Old course. Lunch at the clubhouse. Play the Nicklaus course. Have dinner at St. Mellion Restaurant.
DAY FIVE: Play Trevose Golf and Country Club. Lunch at Brocks Restaurant or St. Petroc's Bistro. Head north to Tintagel Castle, built on the legendary birthplace of King Arthur. Dine at the Atlantic View Hotel.
DAY SIX: Check in at St. Enodoc Hotel. Play the Church course. Lunch at the Wheelhouse. Hit the beach at Rock. Dine at La Belle Alliance, at the Wellington Hotel.
DAY SEVEN: Play St. Enodoc's Holywell course. Have lunch on the balcony at St. Enococ Hotel. Feast at celebrity chef Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant.