Joan Embery WILDLIFE AMBASSADOR, SAN DIEGO ZOO
An active conservationist, Embery has lived in San Diego for 54 years. Here, she shares her five favorite things about her hometown.
1. Horseback riding in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park (12551 Hwy. 79, Descanso; 760/765-0755). "Both the easy route around the lake and the scenic route through the mountains are beautiful."
2. Shopping at Antique Warehouse (212 S. Cedros Ave.; 858/755-5156). "I like antiques—primitive and folk art—and the Cedros Design District in Solana Beach is a great place to find them."
3. Swimming off Fiesta Island (Fiesta Island Rd. at Sea World Dr.). "It's the perfect spot for a picnic. Plus, my yellow Lab, Traveler, and my weimaraner, Blue, love the water."
4. A day of bird-watching. "Start by seeing the pelicans at La Jolla Cove, and then drive through the Anza-Borrego Desert. You'll be at the Salton Sea a few hours later. This is the only area of the United States with such a range of topography and wildlife."
5. Sunday brunch at the Beach House (2530 S. Coast Hwy., Cardiff-by-the-Sea; 760/753-1321; brunch for two $50). "I was having brunch on the rocks once with a friend, watching the dolphins go by, when a wave crashed right on us and took our food with it."