Newsletters  | Mobile

What You Need to Know About Renting a Car in Europe

Renting a car in Europe? T+L's Andrea Bennett can save you money and more than a few headaches

If you rent cars in the united states with any frequency, not much can catch you off guard. But with different driving regulations, rental requirements that vary by country, and unexpected costs, renting a car in Europe can vary drastically from what you might be used to. Factor these considerations in to your next trip, whether following an itinerary in "Four Great European Drives" or your own route.


How to Save

The cardinal rule of renting a car in Europe: Book ahead from the United States. Rates for U.S. travelers who book stateside can be as much as 50 percent lower than local prices. This is important since you may pay for extras that would likely be included at home, such as an automatic transmission and air-conditioning. At press time, the least expensive automatic at Charles de Gaulle was Alamo Rent A Car's Citroën C3, at $480.74 for seven days (a manual was $398.62). An economy car with air conditioning at Dollar Rent A Car was $43 more per week than a car without it. Also, try to reserve a diesel car—you'll save around 20 percent on fuel (now upwards of $6.65 per gallon).



Border Crossings

Driving a rental car across country borders carries some restrictions. (Even in the United States, you may be charged if you travel out of an agency's allowed region; it's tracked by the vehicle's GPS system.) Most car-rental companies will limit your coverage when traveling from Western to Eastern Europe, allow you to take only cheaper cars, and may require supplemental insurance. If you're driving from Britain to the Continent, you'll likely pay high surcharges and drop-off fees. Be sure to get written permission on-site from the rental location to drive the car out of the U.K.



Licenses and Permits

Your American driver's license is all you need in most Western European countries, though if you're driving in Austria, Germany, Greece, Italy, and much of Eastern Europe, you risk being fined for driving without an international permit. Even if a country doesn't require it, consider getting one ($15 from AAA).




You already know to check the coverage from your auto insurance and credit card companies before taking optional insurance from a rental agency. But read the fine print in your credit card agreement: Visa's policy excludes Ireland, Israel, and Jamaica; MasterCard and American Express also don't cover those countries, adding Italy, Australia, and New Zealand.



Country-Specific Driving Laws

Each nation has its own rules. French police, for instance, can confiscate your car if you are driving 18 mph or more over the speed limit. Last year, National Car Rental launched a Web site, Nationaldrivesafe.com, that outlines the rules of the road in 43 countries worldwide. ✚



Sign Up

Connect With Travel + Leisure
  • Travel+Leisure
  • Tablet
  • Available devices

Already a subscriber?
Get FREE ACCESS to the digital edition