Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- One 1 1/2-inch slice of baguette, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup bouillon from the bouillabaisse
- 4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 small roasted pepper from a jar, chopped
- 1 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Medium pinch saffron, pulverized in a mortar, and steeped in 3 tablespoons of hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika (pimenton) or 1 teaspoon regular paprika
- Small pinch ground cayenne, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
1. Soak the bread in the bouillon for 10 minutes. Squeeze, and crumble with your fingers.
2. In a blender, puree the bread, garlic, egg yolks, and roasted pepper and saffron water until completely smooth, adding a little oil if necessary. With the motor running, drizzle in the oil, a little at a time, until the sauce is emulsified. It should be the consistency of a thick mayonnaise. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to combine. Scrape the rouille into a bowl and let stand, covered with plastic, for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
3. Serve with Easy Bouillabaisse Marseillaise.
Did you enjoy this article?Share it.