You can read all of the infographics and data you want about when to book for the cheapest airfare but sometimes it's easier to have someone spell it out for you. We're not talking about a travel advisor (although, they can do quite a bit that the Internet can't). Quartz recently unveiled an interactive tool that helps you choose the right time to travel (by season) based on airfare prices.
The website teamed up with flight search engine Hopper to analyze 15 different destinations and their routes around the world. If you plan on flying out of one of the chosen hubs (New York, San Francisco, Baltimore, Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, and more), the tool will spit out the best time of the year for you to visit specific locations based on when airline tickets are at their cheapest. A few findings:
- If you're flying out of New York - Laguardia, you can still catch a summer deal to Taipei
- Looking to escape Baltimore? You've got the most options come fall time (think: Lima, London, Vancouver, Tokyo, and Athens, to name a few)
- Winter is the best time to catch a quick vacation from the brutal Chicago winters. Consider Amsterdam, Honolulu, Frankfurt, Rome, or Paris.
- Washingtonians: There's still time to take advantage of summer's low fares to Toronto from Reagan!
Erika Owen is the Audience Engagement Editor at Travel + Leisure. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @erikaraeowen.
More good reads from T+L:
• 25 Trips of a Lifetime
• 10 Breathtaking U.S. Train Trips Recalling the Golden Era of Rail Travel
• 40 Reasons to Travel Now