Newsletters  | Mobile

America's Coolest Distilleries

America's Coolest Distilleries: Corsair

Courtesy of Corsair Distillery

Corsair Distillery, Nashville, TN, and Bowling Green, KY

Kentucky bourbon is steeped in tradition, and distillers have to follow scores of rules if they want to use the name. The team at Corsair barely colors within the lines, following just enough rules to call their product bourbon. Our favorite example: bourbon has to be at least 51 percent corn. Most producers use much more (even up to 80 percent), but Corsair uses exactly 51 percent, using the other 49 percent to introduce creative flavors like cherry-smoked barley. It's the kind of stunt that would be considered absurd if it didn't result in such a complex, fun-to-drink spirit.

Tours: Tuesday to Saturday in Tennessee and Friday to Saturday in Kentucky; $10; corsairartisan.com.


Sign Up

Connect With Travel + Leisure
  • Travel+Leisure
  • Tablet
  • Available devices

Already a subscriber?
Get FREE ACCESS to the digital edition