Trofimov Evgeny/Getty Images

637,000 new pilots will be needed by 2036, according to Boeing. 

August 10, 2017

If you’re looking to hop into a new and exciting career, now may be the perfect time to get your pilot's license.

According to a report by Boeing, an astonishing 637,000 new pilots will be needed by 2036. This, according to TravelPulse, translates to 87 new pilots entering the workforce every day for the next 20 years straight.

As Forbes further explained, a large bulk of these new pilots, about 40 percent in total, will be needed to simply replace pilots expected to retire in the next two decades. The remaining 60 percent are needed to cover new routes and fly with new airlines coming up over the next few years.

Much of this growth will happen outside the United States, according to Boeing’s report, with most of the need in the Asia-Pacific region. Still, the U.S. will need 16 new pilots a day, every day, for the next 20 years just to maintain current routes, according to Forbes’ calculations.

Related: Why the World Needs More Women as Pilots

Moreover, the report found that 648,000 new commercial airline maintenance technicians will be needed in the same timeframe along with 839,000 new cabin crew members.

And while this comes as fantastic news for the job market, it does not bode well for travelers. As TravelPulse explained, the increase in need will also result in a massive pilot deficit, meaning there will not be enough people to fly current routes. This deficit could lead to a huge uptick in pilot salaries, again great for the pilot but bad for the consumer as the staffing challenge may result in airlines having to reduce or drop routes.

And sure, getting to travel the world may seem like enough to entice people into becoming airline pilots, but the job is actually incredibly demanding and wildly stressful.

As Travel + Leisure previously reported, being an airline pilot was named as the number three most stressful job by CareerCast in 2017. But, with an average annual salary of $150,000, which is only expected to grow from here, perhaps a little extra stress is worth it.

You May Like